AFRICA SCHOLARSHIP – Master’s Degree (LLM) in Human Rights and Democratisation

Individuals from all African countries are invited to apply for admission to study for the Master’s Degree (LLM) in Human Rights and Democratisation in Africa at the Centre for Human Rights, University of Pretoria, South Africa.

The LLM in Human Rights and Democratisation in Africa is a regional co-operation initiative presented in partnership by the Centre for Human Rights, Faculty of Law, University of Pretoria, and the faculties of law at:

Addis Ababa University (Ethiopia)
American University in Cairo (Egypt)
Catholic University of Central Africa (Cameroon)
Universidade Eduardo Mondlane (Mozambique)
University of Ghana
Makerere University (Uganda)
University of the Western Cape (South Africa)

This premier course, the only one if its kind, focuses specifically on human rights as seen from the African perspective. The course is presented full time over one academic year (two semesters) that runs from the end of January to early December and comprises eight modules. The first semester is spent at the Centre for Human Rights, University of Pretoria, studying the following modules:

Module 1: Methodology of human rights research, education and advocacy
Module 2: Democratisation in Africa
Module 3: International and comparative human rights
Module 4: Human rights in Africa
Module 5: Introduction to the South African legal system and Bill of Rights
Module 6: Human rights in the field (Field trip)

At the end of the first semester, the class is divided into seven groups, each of which spends the next five months at one of the partner universities where they complete the following two modules and/or internships:

Module 7: Accredited courses
Module 8: Dissertation

Instruction is by way of formal lectures and practical exercises. The lecturers are some of the most prominent human rights experts in the world. Emphasis is placed on classroom participation and there is ample opportunity for informal interaction between the students and lecturers. Students can make use of extensive library facilities and have 24-hour access to computers.

A substantial part of the course is dedicated to the use of the Internet in research on human rights law. The medium of instruction is English, of which students must have a good working knowledge in order to follow lectures and participate fully in class discussions and practical exercises.

Students who did undertake their studies in Englsih are required to write the Test of English as a Foreign Language. Upon admission to the programme advanced English is provided for students from non-English speaking countries and French is taught to students from English speaking countries. Students who are fluent in both English and French study Portuguese.

Admission is on a competitive basis and bursaries are available.

HOW TO APPLY
Applicants must be in possession of a first degree in Law (LL.B, licence en droit or licenciatura em direito) and should submit the following documentation by post (no electronic applications will be accepted):

1. Letter of motivation (a one-page letter stating why you would like to do the course)
2. CV (a two-page curriculum vitae (including your full particulars: name, address, telephone, fax and e-mail)
3. Transcript (detailed academic record showing subjects taken and marks obtained)
4. Degree certificates (certified copies of all degree certificates)
5. Letters of recommendation (two academic and/or professional letters of recommendation/support)
6. Financial application (a one-page letter detailing your financial position and indicating why you would need assistance)
7. English proficiency (if undergraduate studies were not in English proof of your proficiency)
8. Photo (a recent colour passport photograph)

ONLY THE INFORMATION REQUESTED ABOVE IS REQUIRED. THERE ARE NO APPLICATION FORMS TO BE COMPLETED
Please note: All documents must be typewritten. Please ensure that all documents are submitted together. There are no application forms to be completed.

Deadline for receipt of applications for the 2010 class is 31 July 2009.

Applications should be directed to:
The Coordinator, LLM (Human Rights & Democratisation)
Centre for Human Rights
Faculty of Law
University of Pretoria
PRETORIA 0002
Republic of South Africa
For further enquiries:
Tel: +27 (12) 420 4754
Fax: +27 (12) 362 5125
Fax: +27 866 887 666
E-mail: martin.nsibirwa(at)up.ac.za
www.chr.up.ac.za

24 Comments

1. Festus Brima Conteh says:

I am interested in applying for your Master’s Degree(LLM) in Human Rights and Democratisation.

So please help me know the time for application for the next academic year i.e.January to December 2011.

2. tesfaye says:

inform me

3. bakari says:

I WOULD WISH TO JOIN LLM IN HUMAN RIGHTS & DEMOCRATISATION , KINDLY INFORM ME THE DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION 2011

4. Minnie Paegar says:

I am interested in applying for Master’s (LLM) in Human Rights and Democratisation.I would like to know when you will start to accept applications for acadamic year 2011.

Thanks.

5. MOHAMED FAKIH MZEE says:

6. ABRIHAM WOLDE says:

I would like to apply for the course but please let me know when you will start to receive application and from where can i get application form?

7. egbe abunaw euphrasia says:

wish to apply and study at your institution. please kindly inform me of the registration period for this year

8. christina says:

I would like to apply for LLM in Human Rights and Democratization in africa -year 2012. please kindly inform me date of application.

9. Sergio Albino says:

Gostaria de obter informações para frequentar o curso de direitos humanos, sou funcionário publico, e não disponho de capacidade financeira para tal, por isso, queria saber também como obter a bolsa. Obrigado

10. koli christine says:

hi i would like to apply for scholarship in master degree in human rights for 2011 but i request for more information for these.

11. tayren says:

hi
    i am very intrested in appling for the scholarship and course in masters dgree in human rights for 2011 if i am out of time then 2012. please send me more information.

12. julius nkhuwa says:

halo, i would like to apply for a scholarship to enable me study for a Masters Degree( LLM) in human rights and democratization for the next latest admissions available. may i be notified as soon as practicably can.

13. Renatus Ekarist Malecha says:

I would like to join the masters on human right and democratization if you offer me scholarship, would you please send me the entry qualification in the programme.

14. Martha Bishay says:

I would like to join the masters on human right and democratization 2012. please kindly inform me date of application
    if you offer me scholarship?
    would you please send me the entry qualification in the program.

15. Nkonbe Noel says:

Kindly, am very anxious to study LLM in human rights in the year 2012. how to apply and will I be sponsored?

16. i would like to join the master on human rights &democratization 2013 please can you help me how can i send my particulars [through e-mail or address indicated bellow how to apply

17. emma eitu ejoku says:

An a counselor looking for a scholarship for studying masters in human rights and conflict resolution

18. George Kondowe says:

I want to be told when this programme will commence for 2013.

19. ONUH ELAIGWU EZEKIEL says:

i will like to be told when this program will commerce in 2013. thanks

20. HaThana says:

Hi, am pursuing my bachelor’s in law, i want to pursue my LLM in human rights, could you please explain me about the procedures for application to scholarship for the academic year beginning 2013.

21. Ann says:

was the the course for only 2011 only or available even for 2013-2014 academic year?

22. BUYEHERE PARFAIT says:

is this scholarship available for this year? I
    need more informations.

23. Tong Kot Kuocnin says:

i am very much interested in applying for LLM in your center and i would like to be updated as to when the admission for 2014 class will commence.

24. Wanjiru S says:

Kindly give us instruction for the application for the 2015 class. Am pursuing LL.B and will graduate this year December and am interested to pursue an LL.M in human rights after my LL.B. kindly assist.