Deadline: 4 February 2011
Assignment duration: 10 days (plus travel days if based outside of Zimbabwe)
Assignment dates: 28th March – 1st April 2011 (workshop) plus preparatory days in advance and report writing days afterwards
CAFOD is in the process of developing a new Country Strategy Paper for the next three years of operation in Zimbabwe.
The next stage in the development of this strategy paper is for a Strategic Planning workshop scheduled for 28th March – 1st April.
The purpose of this workshop is to review the vision and purpose for CAFOD in Zimbabwe and to develop programme goals, objectives and strategies which are in line with CAFOD’s global 10-year strategy: Just One World. Workshop participants will comprise of CAFOD’s management team, programme staff and representatives from the London head office.
CAFOD is seeking an external consultant who can help develop the workshop methodology and materials and take the lead in facilitating the 5-day event. The intention is for workshop participants to consider each strand of CAFOD’s work (livelihoods; governance; WASH; HIV; Gender; DRR) and to define the future direction of each theme, paying particular attention to quality and effectiveness; principles of partnership; complementarity; and how programmes will align to CAFOD’s Just One World global strategy with a specific focus on Gender, the Church, Impact and reaching the poorest of the poor.
Process: Although the exact process would be finalised during the inception period ahead of the workshop in consultation with the consultant, the outline for the process is as follows:
- General familiarisation of CAFOD, including review of organisational documents and meetings with key staff
- Develop workshop methodologies and materials in conjunction with CAFOD programme management. Workshop must be participatory and must be designed to provoke critical review and thinking amongst the participants
- Facilitation of the 5-day Country Strategic Planning workshop
- Compilation of workshop report (the consultant is not expected to write the final strategy document)
Required skills and competencies:
- Experience in conducting and facilitating similar strategic planning processes with international NGOs
- Knowledge and experience of using participatory approaches and innovative facilitation techniques
- Strong analytical skills
- Good inter-personal skills and able to negotiate shared positions
- Excellent communication skills and fluency in English
- Strong understanding of development and humanitarian needs and issues of Zimbabwe
Interested candidates: Should send a brief proposal along with a budget and CV of the consultant to Debbie Ball email@example.com by Friday 4th February 2011.