Deadline: 28 January 2011
The Zimbabwe Women’s Resource Centre and Network (ZWRCN) is an information-based organization. It is currently expanding its work in the area of Economic Justice. The overall goal of these programs is to reduce gender inequalities and promote gender sensitive development policies for poverty reduction and improvement of the welfare of women, men, girls and boys in Zimbabwe. This will be carried out through human capacity building, research and publication, Advocacy, Networking and Coalition building. We therefore seek competent and motivated individuals for the following positions:
1. Programme Officer – Gender Economic Policies and Public Finance Programme
2. Gender and Information Coordinator
3. Assistant Programme Officer – Gender and Information
1. Programme Officer, Gender, Economic Policies & Public Finance
Reporting To Programme Coordinator
- To manage effectively and efficiently the implementation of the Gender Budgeting and Women’s Empowerment four (4) year Programme.
- To identify and use as points of reference, international and regional frameworks (i.e. other Gender Budgets Initiatives, UN frameworks, human rights instruments) to situate ZWRCN’s Gender Budget Initiative within a context of action;
- To create a portfolio of research projects, surveys and policy analysis and advocacy strategies on Gender Budgeting which contribute to knowledge and the understanding of the gender dimension of national resource allocations in Zimbabwe;
- To develop frameworks and training tools to build gender budget literacy;
- To create an external profile (nationally and regionally) of ZWRCN as a leading player in communications, training, advocacy and lobbying for mainstreaming gender into the national budget process and legislation;
- To network with identified partners to create a strong voice nationally on the need for a budget that addresses the differential needs for both women and men;
- To ensure greater accountability on expenditure and revenue which is geared towards the eradication of poverty and gender economic justice, and to build public educational campaigns on these issues; and
- To design mechanisms to regularly monitor ZWRCN’s influence on the budget processes, policies and/or legislation.
Qualifications and Experience
- A first degree in Economics or Public Finance and a Masters level degree in a related field would be an advantage.
- A qualification in Gender and Development, Feminist studies or training in gender budgeting will be an advantage.
- A minimum of 5 years professional experience at a senior level.
- Demonstrable knowledge in the following areas: gender analysis, economic and policy analysis.
- Social Action or Participatory Research Methodologies.
- Demonstrate skills in the following are critical: editing, writing, research and budget planning, implementation and monitoring.
This position will require an individual with good leadership skills, flexibility, be self -driven and able to work in a fast paced environment with multiple accountabilities and minimum supervision. They must possess good computer skills and be willing to travel nationally and in the region as required. Good communication skills and ability to work in teams is essential.
2. Gender And Information Coordinator
To coordinate information, knowledge management and learning for the organisation. A key position that in a Programme that serves as the hub of the organization through profiling internally and externally the services and products, processes and outcomes of ZWRCN.
Reporting to Executive Director
- Develop and implement an Information, communications, and dissemination strategy on behalf of the organization.
- Promotion of ZWRCN publications as well as publish and promote Information products on gender and women’s rights.
- Provide appropriate support to other program areas – Gender Information, Documentation Centre and Gender, Economic Policies & Public Finance.
- Drafts and edits article, press releases, wed stories, other public information materials and reports, as well as contributes to development of communication messages and materials.
- Develop and implement an innovative Marketing strategy which includes creation & expansion of the organisation’s networks with relevant organizations in government, non-government at national, regional and international level.
- Develops partnerships with media other selected groups or individuals, whose support is essential to the achievement of advocacy and communication objectives, and strengthens their capacity through appropriate advocacy and communication training, access to updated information.
- Determine use of traditional and ICTs depending on variety of target beneficiaries through print and other media.
- Promote and manage Gender & Development Talks and other special events management on behalf of the organization.
- Develop and maintain the organisation’s networking resources.
Qualifications and Experience
- A University degree in communication or journalism or public relations.
- Masters or other qualification or experience in gender related studies/organisation would be an added advantage.
- 5 years progressive professional work experience in communication, knowledge management and learning.
- Strong writing skills as well as demonstrable experience in editing materials for publication.
- Skills in website design and updating would be an advantage.
- Supervisory experience would also be an advantage.
This position will require individuals with good leadership skills, flexibility, self-driven and able to work in a fast paced environment with multiple accountabilities and minimum supervision. They must possess good computer skills and good communication skills and ability to work in teams is essential.
3. Assistant Programme Officer – Gender And Information
Reporting to: Information Coordinator- Gender and Information Programme
- Provides programme assistance to the programme officer focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Collection, analysis and presentation of information for support to programmes implementation
- Supports communication and collaboration among programmes
- Prepares correspondence, reports, presentations and other written materials from oral instructions and written communication.
- Support preparation of reports, statistical charts and tables as required. Maintenance of proper filing system for the programme
- Provide administrative support to the project focusing on achievement of the following:
- Creation of all requisitions for all travel and procurement under the programme
- Build and maintain a database of contact and networks for the organisation
- Preparation of materials for meetings, presentations and workshops
- Facilitate the production of publicity materials for the organisation
- Performs other tasks as required
- Ensure facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the organisation and its partners and networks
Qualifications and Experience
- A degree in Communication or Social Sciences
- 3 years progressive professional work experience in communication, knowledge management and learning
- Strong writing skills as well as demonstrable experience in editing materials for publication
- Knowledge management and learning
- Developmental and operational effectiveness-ability to perform a variety of standard tasks related to projects documentation and provision of information
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
All applications clearly stating the position being applied for with certified copies of certificates, CV and other relevant documents must clearly state the position applied for and should be submitted no later than Friday 28 January 2011.
Qualified women are encouraged to apply.
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.