Call for Young Journalists
The hosts of the 15th International Anti-Corruption Conference (15th IACC) invite young journalists working in the Americas[*] to be part of the 15th International Anti-Corruption Conference (IACC) to be held in Brasilia, Brazil from 07-10 November 2012.
Update: We have additional scholarships available for young journalists from Sub-Saharan Africa find out more here
Up to 15 Young Journalists will be selected and will work together, under the guidance of the IACC’s Social Media Unit to report on the Conference sessions through various Social Media and New Media channels including the IACC blog, Facebook, Twitter and Youtube. The selected journalists will also have the opportunity to submit stories to their own news outlets, write monthly blogs/articles for the IACC website and have a chance to engage with Transparency International’s national chapters in their respective countries.
What you’ll receive
If you’re chosen, you will be invited to report on the 15th IACC inBrasilia,Brazil. You’ll receive a pre-conference training session with us, a round-trip economy travel ticket to Brasilia, refund for any visa costs, accommodation for five nights, airport transfers, meals, and the opportunity to learn more about corruption at a global scale and meet key players in this important field. In addition you will become a member of the group of IACC Young Journalists – a group which was initiated at the last IACC in Bangkok. You will be responsible for your own travel insurance.
What we’re looking for
- Someone not over 35 years old.
- A working journalist or blogger of any nationality with at least two years of work experience. Please note that we are specifically looking for journalists who have experience in broadcast moderating and live reporting. You should also be currently based in one of the following countries: Argentina, Barbados, Bolivia, Brazil, Costa Rica, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Cuba, Curacao, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Puerto Rico, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, El Salvador, Trinidad and Tobago, The Turks and Caicos Islands, Uruguay, USA and Venezuela[†].
- We’re looking for photojournalists, video broadcast journalists, print/online journalists and tech-savvy journalists with experience working across different platforms.
- Fluency in English (demonstrated through TOEFL and/or IELTS scores if available).
- Journalists with a taste for fighting corruption and are keen to learn more about Transparency International, the IACC Series and the issues we work on.
How do you apply?
Write a short essay (250-300 words) in English on why you want to join our social media unit and what you can do to contribute to our social media unit from now until the 15th IACC, as well as during the Conference.
Plus, send us links/samples of your prior work in the form of articles, photos, and blogs on topics related to what will be discussed at the conference. The more we can learn about you, the better!
And finally, include a resume/CV in English with references.
What happens next?
All applications will be reviewed and assessed by a team of representatives from Transparency International. Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.
We invite everyone who is qualified and passionate about what Transparency International and the IACC Series stands for to apply and be part of this incredible experience!
Deadline: we have rolling admissions. So the earlier you apply – the better!
For more information: www.15iacc.organd please read the accompanying terms of reference.
Questions may be sent to:
Mara R Mendes
IACC Team Berlin
[*] We will accept applications from the following countries: Argentina, Barbados, Bolivia, Brazil, Costa Rica, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Cuba, Curacao, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Puerto Rico, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, El Salvador, Trinidad and Tobago, The Turks and Caicos Islands, Uruguay, USA and Venezuela
[†] Countries where there is a Transparency International national chapter and contact organisation