Vacancy Announcement – Head of Knowledge Management
The West Africa Civil Society Institute (WACSI) was established to strengthen civil society in the region through knowledge sharing, connecting and influencing.
WACSI is looking for a committed, motivated and dynamic person to join its team to contribute to enhancing civil society’s professionalism, efficiency and effectiveness in West Africa.
Applications are hereby invited from suitably qualified persons for a 2-year contract to its Knowledge Management Unit.
Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Head of Knowledge Management will provide overall guidance and leadership in the areas of knowledge management, research and documentation including the coordination of research and dissemination of research findings to CSO practitioners, project partners and the public at large.
S/he will collaborate with colleagues, research networks and knowledge dissemination hubs worldwide to produce and package research findings, share relevant technical information and create communications and dissemination materials/products relevant to civil society in West Africa.
Further, s/he will participate in analysing and synthesizing research findings and programme experiences and will assist in the documentation of successful practices. S/he will facilitate, through multiple venues, mechanisms, and technology, effective processes, systems and tools to share knowledge to WACSI’s partners, beneficiaries and other stakeholders. The Head of Knowledge Management will be a member of the management team. S/he will also provide technical writing assistance to staff and partners.
Key Performance Areas
Under the supervision of the Executive Director the Head of Knowledge Management will:
- Lead in the design and implementation of effective knowledge management and learning activities in collaboration with other team members and in line with the institute’s organisational strategy by conceptualising, developing and operationalising a comprehensive organisational knowledge management system.
- Facilitate strategic knowledge linkages between programme units and working groups and produce analysed information/data to aid programme planning through identifying and developing case studies and learning resources on developing trends in civil society in West Africa to propose innovations to WACSI’s interventions.
- Work collaboratively with other Units to review and update WACSI’s research resources to strengthen efforts to build a civil society knowledge center that drives civil society effectiveness by streamlining the curriculum for capacity development.
- Identify and share with other units creative, efficient and effective ways to share ideas and information that will keep the institute abreast with emerging development practices; examine key development policies and practices relevant to the work of the institute that will lead to designing interventions consistent with the needs of civil society in West Africa to facilitate engagement and collaboration.
- Work collaboratively with the Communications and Information Unit to sustain quality standards for external knowledge products to ensure compliance with WACSI’s publications guidelines and style guide in line with best practice to commission and repackage resources and knowledge outputs produced around WACSI’s key areas of work and disseminate to a wide range of audiences.
- Strengthen and manage WACSI’s content management systems (databases) and relevant knowledge repositories to improve storage and retrieval and make it accessible to staff and civil society stakeholders.
- Liaise with the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Unit and other Units to document, produce knowledge and disseminate learning around WACSI’s work and impact
- Lead and facilitate the promotion, adoption and implementation of internal knowledge management strategies that foster an effective learning culture, including staff capacity building in knowledge sharing and learning.
Qualification and Experience
- Master’s degree or higher in one or more disciplines related to Knowledge Management and learning, political science; economics; education; democracy and governance; development studies or inter-related fields.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a senior management position with experience in organizational or action learning, development, and/or knowledge management in a similar organization.
- Excellent planning and programme management skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated interest and experience in civil society and strong commitment to social change globally and more specifically in West Africa.
- Ability to collect and analyse data through surveys (e.g.: needs assessment surveys)
- Strong research and editing skills
- Facilitation and training skills
- High level of proficiency in MS Office required. Experience of working with information management systems / databases and social media platforms preferred.
- Ability to work within tight deadlines and willingness to work flexible working hours.
- Proficiency in French will be an advantage.
- Interested applicants must send the following to the email address at email@example.com.
- Application letter together with a Curriculum Vitae/Resume; research paper or writing sample on a relevant topic; and contacts of 2 referees (one must be an academic reference).
- Deadline for submission of application is 31 January 2018.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.